Signs make great art, and making your own can really customize your space. It's a personal and inexpensive way to fill a large space on a wall. I made this sign in about three hours and it cost me around $20. Choosing what you want the sign to say is usually the hardest part,. I had mine say "CREATE" because I'm always making new things and it reminds me that even when I'm sitting on the couch I can be thinking of fun things to design.
- Wood (I got a piece of pine from Home Depot that they cut to size for me for about $10
- Embroidery Thread (from A.C. Moore, the stuff you make friendship bracelets from)
- Brass Nails
- Stain (if you want the wood darker, but you can just keep it natural)
- Paint (I painted the edges gold for a bit of shine)
- Stain wood & paint edges
- Decide what you want to say and print it out to scale
- Tape paper to wood
- Hammer in nails about 1/3 of the way in, I spaced them about 1/2in apart around the edge of each letter
- Rip off paper
- Tie thread to one nail and connect all the nails in a random pattern, then go around the edges securing thread by wrapping around each nail twice.
- Hang that baby up!